In the last months, I’ve tried several unlimited design services. Kimp was the most recent one.
I got access to their Graphics services for one month, getting really great results.
Here’s my honest Kimp review and a 20% discount in your first two months if you use our link.
What is Kimp?
Kimp is an unlimited graphic and video design service.
You pay a monthly fee and get access to a team of 1 Project Manager and 3 designers who will take care of all your graphic and video design requests.
How can it be unlimited? Kimp will work on your requests two at a time, meaning that, in some way, you’ll be able to get a limited amount of work done every month. The reason why they are called unlimited is that you pay a fixed rate whether you request 1 task or 100.
Kimp services are divided into “Graphics” and “Video”. I’ve only tried the first one so, throughout the article, I’ll be referring to my experience with their graphic design team.
Pros & Cons of Kimp
Here are some of the main benefits of going with Kimp instead of other unlimited design services:
- Experience: Kimp was one of the first unlimited design services to emerge. They have since worked with thousands of customers. They currently are one of the most well-known services in their niche.
- Expertise: Kimp is only focused on graphic design, which means their designers are highly specialized in that field. Other unlimited design services, instead, also do mobile and website design, meaning their designers have less expertise in graphic design. Just see Kimp’s website and branding... they know what they do.
- Price: Kimp’s Graphics plan ($499/mo) is super affordable and cheaper than most of the other graphic design services. We’ll dig deeper into Kimp’s pricing below.
- Trial: They are one of the few services offering a 7-day trial. Disclaimer: Some other services offer a refund policy, so you can sign up, try the service and ask for a refund if you didn’t like the results. In my opinion, paying and requesting a refund is quite rude. I prefer having a free trial.
- Discounts on multiple subscriptions: Kimp doesn’t have an option to “add additional designers” to your account. You get a dedicated design team that works on two tasks at a time. And if you need to increase outputs you can buy two “Graphics” subscriptions and get a 10% discount.
- Dashboard: You’ll be able to manage your tasks from a Trello dashboard, which at the same time can be connected with any of your other tools through Zapier. The dashboard is well-thought and makes the request and review of tasks easy.
- Friendly team: I’ve talked with +4 people at Kimp and they were all really nice. Customer support is also fast and seamless.
- Business hours: Kimp assigns customers a team that’s in a similar time zone, meaning you'll have at least some overlap with your dedicated design team. The customer service team meanwhile is available via live chat. You can read more about this here.
- Customer reviews: Out of 135 reviews on TrustPilot, 126 are 5-stars. That’s 93% of their customers being super happy with Kimp’s services.
Here are some cons of Kimp in comparison to other unlimited design services:
- Graphics only: Kimp is focused on graphic design requests. They don’t do website or app UX (apart from landing pages). For the majority of businesses, graphic design is enough. If you also want to get designs for your website/app, you should consider another of the services listed here.
- No refunds if not used: If one month you don’t make any design request, you won’t get refunded. This is a common practice for unlimited design services, so it’s not only a Kimp disadvantage. Before getting Kimp’s Graphics service, make sure you’ll have some design requests every month. Note: Kimp offers the option to pause your account if you’re not currently using it but plan to do so in the future.
- Trello only: Despite Trello being connected with any other tool through Zapier, the integration isn’t perfect and you may have to still check Trello often. Right now, Kimp doesn’t offer any other way to manage requests other than Trello. But they are working on their own custom design project management tool, called Kimp 360. The dates for its launch is TBD.
- Turnaround times: In my experience, Kimp delivered the work quickly, in less than 24 hours. However, some customers in TrustPilot mention it took longer for their requests.
Here are all the categories of graphic and video work Kimp does.
If you’re interested in graphic design, you’ll probably be requesting some of these:
- Blog Images
- Business Cards
- Custom Illustrations
- Display Ads
- Flyers & Posters
- Landing Pages
- Social Media Posts & Ads
If you’ll be getting the Video service, you’ll probably be requesting some of these:
- Demo Videos
- Simple Explainer Videos
- Text Overlays
- Educational Videos
- Social Media Videos
- Basic & Advanced GIFs
- Testimonial Videos
Kimp’s straightforward pricing means that there are no specific tasks you’ll get or not if you get one plan or the other. If you get Kimp Graphics, you’ll be able to require all of their allowed design tasks.